Most Common (WS28xx)
- WS stands for World Semi (their site might be down, or is this the wrong link?)
- Variants are:
- WS2801 - Older protocol? 4 pin version (unlike other WS) that requires a data and clock input
- WS2803 - Older 18 Channel (28 pin) PWM LED Driver Chip (LEDs not included)
- WS2811 - Generally refers to the chip that is not integrated with the actual LEDs aka it's usually an 8-Pin SOIC (Small Outline Integrated Circuit) that takes Data withOUT a clock signal and controls 3 LEDs (Typically Red Green and Blue) and then passes along the data signal minus those first 3 values.
- WS2812 - The original (?) integrated LED and driver chip package aka it's a 5050 sized SMD (5mm by 5mm) square that has not only a miniaturized WS2811, but also connected Red, Green and Blue LEDs fit into said 5050 package. Takes in ~5VDC and data, outputs data minus first 3 values to the next chip.
- WS2812b - Newer updated version of WS2812
- WS2813 - Newer updated version of WS2812b with backup data line capabilities allowing pass-through data should one chip die (two in a row dying is still a problem)
Made by APA Electronics Inc.?
- APA102 - clock line required - older, square lens (also comes in smaller 3535 SMD and newer smaller 2020 SMD)
- APA102c - updated version of APA102 (aka still requires clock) - round lens similar to shape of WS2812
- APA104 - no clock - same protocol as ws2812?
- APA109 - APA chip integrated into RGBW 5050 SMD - Warm, Neutral, and Cool White versions?
Other Chips (move up here from below when you have more info)
Raw Messy Rough List of Chip Types that I've seen mentioned in places
LPD6803 LPD1101 D705 D715
DMX512 UCS512 WS2821 TM512 HDMX
TM1812 P9883 TM1804 TM1809 UCS1903 UCS1909 UCS1912 WS2811 WS2812 SM16703 SM16709 SM16712 INK1003 LX1003
TM1829 TA9912 TM1906
LD15xx LD1510 LD1512 LD1530 LD1532
TLS3001 LX2003 LX2006
DM114 DM115 DM13C DM134 DM135 DM136
MBI5001 MBI5168 MBI5016 MBI5026 MBI5027
74HC595 6B595 TB62726 TB62706 ST2221A ST2221C XLT5026 ZQL9712 ZQL9712HV HEF4094 A8012